Carnosaur Tutorial by

After the great find of the Dragonknight conversion by Typhoid_Garry which I posted yesterday, I am happy to show you a tutorial of another masterfull build for the Exodites. It is most likely the best carnosaur to wraithlord approach out there. Without further words I present you Stephane.Info's work and some of his thoughts- check out his website for the full tutorial!

Naturally, finding the best appearance was the real challenge. I wanted an "armoured beast" but I had no clue on how to do it. Since I wanted three Carnosaurs, I could not rely on exotic pieces and should limit myself to one or two Eldar plastic sets: Eldar, because they had the Eldar style built-in with gems, vents, etc., and plastic sets because of the ease of modelling. And no more than two because the price would get prohibitive. I gathered one of each plastic set available (Warwalker, Wraithlord, Weapon platform, Wave Serpent, Vyper) and started thinking with some blue tac. I finally used the components shown below:

In details, we have:
  • A: a Carnosaur (D'oh!)
  • B: Warwalker components;
  • C: Weapon Platform (and gunner) components;
  • D: various small plastic bitz (they come from a Dark Eldar sprue but it's not really mandatory);
  • E: Shining Spears metal pilots.
Quickly, I found a creative use of the Warwalker cockpit in an upside-down position; it would be the seat structure. I hacked merrily the top of a weapon platform to close the seat, binding myself to this set and the Warwalker one to finish the creature as two plastic sets for a single Exodite Lord would be enough. The Warwalker "pelvis" components allowed an interesting modelling idea too (keep the plastic chutes in the holes!) but the Carnosaur was still a bit bare. Then I had the intuition of a power array on the back of the Carnosaur, relying on side components of the weapon platform remnants. Not only it would look neat, but it would fit with the beast's movement and the seat, and balance the carapace distribution over the whole body. You can see a step-by-step evolution of the prototype: