Thursday, July 1, 2010

////

Vostroyan Face Tutorial

Since I saw Ron's tutorial on Raven Guard faces this week and I use a very similar aproach on painting faces, I thought make a tutorial the next time I paint some. Well- I just did for my Vostroyan commision and here you are.


First: the colors I used. In fact, these were only three for the skin tones (additional I use black for the eyes and brown for the moustache)
  • Vallejo Model Color # 70928 - Light Flesh
  • Citadel Workshop Ogryn Flesh wash
  • Citadel Gryphone Sepia wash

  1. Start with a black primed mini.
  2. Apply a coat of Light Flesh (mix color:water 2:1)
  3. Wash with Ogry Flesh 2 times
  4. Highlight selected face features with Light Flesh
  5. Wash with Ogryn Flesh
  6. Wash with Ogryn Flesh again
  7. Paint the eyes black (yes- I was a bit sloppy)
  8. Paint the eyeballs Light Flesh and take care to leave a small black rim
  9. Paint the iris with Black
  10. Highlight with Light Flesh (here I touched up my sloppy work)
  11. Put a white lightreflection into the eyes
  12. Wash with Gryphone Sepia
  13. Don't take a super close up unless you want to see the hard truth ;)

3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Anonymous said... December 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM

    DER DER back to painting skool for you!

  2. firstruleoffightclub said... December 8, 2009 at 9:04 PM

    It appears to me like all the effort put on these eight steps does not pay for the final result.

    Dont forget my maxime on painting (you know my models) : Maximum effect on minimum effort ;-)

  3. Cannonfodder said... December 9, 2009 at 12:50 AM

    @anonymous: Care to explain?

    @FROFC: Pareto, I know. But I use every opportunity to improve and the fast 80% just don't do the trick for me. ;) But maybe you show a similar tutprial on how you do it- I would love that.