My Eldar Project got started and I organized myself some Falcon kits. Falcons- you ask? Wasn't the topic on Serpents? Yes- Falcons. But they will end up doing Serpents duty in my army. Don't get me wrong- I love the current Serpent kits from GW but there are tow reasons for me to build my own. Firstly I won't buy 4 new kits because of the price and secondly because I can.
I had a pretty good idea for what I wanted since I remebered Agis Neugebauer having a nice version. He had his conversion set from a guy called Roy Bann who offers it as PDF download over here. It had good basics and I started using it by printing out the templates, transfering them on plasticard and cutting them out. I was already into assemby when I tried fitting them to the Falcon the first time. Bad awakening when I realized something was wrong with the proportions/scale. It wouldn't fit and I had wasted about an hour or more. See what I did for nothing---> ANGER!
Ahhh, f**k it, then I will just build my own version now. I think of making the parts in a way, so I can make a mold and cast more than one kit in a short time- but first things first.
TUTORIAL: Falcon to Wave Serpent conversion
First I placed the falcon model down, traced the outer edges to create my template and designed my Panels around it. The inner line is the underside of the Falcon and will be the part which will glue will stick to in the end.
As you can see below it fits nicely now (when you want something done properly you got to do it yourself). Also notice that I built it so that there is a good portion of surface to put glue on later.
Time to draw more shapes and cut them out- the furthes on the left already has the lines for cutting out the panels on it. It will become the second layer later on.
Time to glue the first layer on the model. Fits like a glove.
Here you see the second layer held in place by me making sure it fits (lesson learned).
Then I chopped the parts into the single panels and glued the first one on.
Speaking of glue- Plastic Cement (Revell Contacta) in my case is my favourite for plastic kits. Here the second layer is done.
Closeup of the third layer to add some more detail. Pretty rough work still- but I will clean it up before casting (other than on my seer jetbike).
All three layers done and in place.
Removed the Wing Extension- notice the parts which go under the model. I think I will add some gems later and maybe some other detail to break up the symetry.
to be continued...
Custom Eldar Wave Serpent Tutorial - Part 2
Inspiration: The Art of Asura
38 minutes ago